Welcome to the Michigan Council of the Blind and Visually Impaired (MCBVI), the Michigan affiliate of the American Council of the Blind (ACB)!
To act as a catalyst in changing the lives of people who are blind and visually impaired and their families through education, advocacy, and camaraderie.
To advocate for the independence, security, and quality of life for people who are blind and visually impaired throughout Michigan. We do this in a positive, productive, and supportive environment by sharing ideas and enjoying friendships!
MCBVI is a registered non-profit organization in Michigan, with members of all ages who are blind, visually impaired, or sighted. We represent a broad diversity of cultural and professional backgrounds. We have local chapters around the state including our phone chapter connecting members from various locations. We welcome your participation in achieving our goals, and hope you will join us!
What We Do:
- Offer helpful resources to people who are blind or visually impaired, as well as support to their families, friends, and associates.
- Encourage equality and full participation of individuals who are blind or visually impaired in education.
- Inspire and assist persons who are experiencing vision loss in developing self-confidence, independence, and their potential for success in assuming a respected and responsible place in society.
- Advocacy for quality standards and services in all rehabilitation or vocational programs provided by public and private agencies for persons who are blind or visually impaired.
- Offer forums for the free exchange of ideas, opinions, and information relating to matters of concern to those who are blind and visually impaired.
- We encourage participation of families, friends, and associates in Advocating opportunities, conventions, and training programs for government, business, schools, churches, and organizations to encourage understanding with respect to vision loss.
- As mentors, we can provide resources, hope, friendship, and counseling to all age groups.
Benefits of Membership:
- Will be a member of MCBVI and ACB!
- Opportunities to vote in the annual state convention of MCBVI, and annual national convention of ACB.
- Annual subscription to the organization newsletter, MCBVI News, and the ACB Braille Forum. The MCBVI News is published three times a year, and is available in Braille, large print, or email. The ACB Braille Forum is published six times a year, and is available in Braille, large print, email, digital cartridge, or podcast.
You may join us through one of our local chapters, or if there is no chapter in your area, we welcome you to our phone chapter, or as a Member At Large.
For information on how to join, visit our website: www.michigancounciloftheblind.org, or like us on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/MCBVI.
Additionally, you may reach us by phone at: 206-666-3696, or send an email to: email@example.com.
The Michigan Council of the Blind and Visually Impaired (MCBVI) is a registered501(C3) organization. Your gift is tax deductible, and we welcome your support. Visit www.michigancounciloftheblind.org and look for the donate page.